Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cheonan

I've been wanting to post this entry as soon as I can but I couldn't. I went to Cheonan to visit a friend whom I met in a camp. He's preparing for college so this year is very important for him. With his limited time he was still kind enough to tour me around Cheonan for one day.
I took the the subway (blue line/line no.1) which took me 1 and half hours. There are also other ways like bus and KTX which cost more but not really expensive since Cheonan is not far. I met my friend 윤관 at the 천안 station an immediately headed to Gagwonsa.

Gagwonsa Buddhist temple is located on Mt. Taejosan. The temple has a bronze sitting Buddha, one of the largest. The Buddha is 15m high, 30m in circumference, and weighs over 60 tonnes. The Buddha sits with the peak of Mt. Taejosan directly behind it, and faces west out over the city and valley. Worshippers and tourists alike climb the steep stairs from the base of the mountain.

Then we had lunch. We had Samgyeopsal ^^ since it's one of my favorites in Korea. lol Our next stop was The Independence Hall of Korea.  The Independence Hall of Korea is a visual history of the struggle for independence in Korea. Opened on August 15, 1987 and made possible by private donations, it is a meant both as a reminder of Korea’s colonial past and as a means of building nationalist spirit. The hall stands on 980 acres of landscaped grounds. As well as the exhibits, visitors can see the Grand Hall of the Nation, the Monument to the Nation, and the Unification Bell. The place is like a summary of all independence halls in Korea. When we finished the tour, it was snowing so hard.
 
Since the hall was really big, it consumed our afternoon. haha. After that we went to a sauna. Sauna was perfect since it was very cold.
Link: http://www.cheonan.go.kr/en/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment