Friday, April 16, 2010

Creativity through a demonstration?

Demonstration in Korea is very rare. In my one year stay in Korea, I've only seen one "sort of demonstration" inside my school, Seoul National University. I said "sort of.." since there were very few students who attended and it seemed like the whole thing was scripted. Anyway, recently I read news about Chung Ang University student demonstration. I have 2 or 3 friends studying here. The school is said to have many students who are part of the locak Korean enterntainment industry. Some of them are Yuri and Sooyoung of SNSD. Anyway, I am not supposed to talk about it. As you can see in the picture two students are trying to put their protest banners on top of the crane. I am not sure if this is creative enough for you but I'm sure they were able to drove attention. I remember the SNU demonstration I saw was also very creative. I already explained it in my other entry though.  I think, due to the few number of students participating in rallies, the students are forced to make their demostrations creative. hehe. On the other hand, I could remember that there was an issue last year that also concerns Chung Ang University. It was around August in 2009, when the university planned to punish a group of students who ran into the university president’s office to protest the dismissal of a professor critical of the Lee Myung-bak administration. The professor was Jin Jung-gwon of German Language and Literature department. I am not sure what happened to him but it was some sort of of a big issue. 

Related article:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/08/117_50628.html

No comments:

Post a Comment