Sunday, November 29, 2009

Special Topics:November in Seoul National University

There are many activities inside the school every month. Since the school is also composed of a diverse population, oh well in a Korean standard, there are also many student clubs that conduct many acvtivities like performances, sales (normally with matching makkoli, a Korean liquor aside from soju), talks etc. Here are some of the activities I think notable^^

University Election: the posters are quite intriguing since it's like a national election with a spin of creativity through an "entertainment industry type" of poses of the candidates. These posters are seen all-over the campus. The Miting de Avance was very poor though. The students seem to be not interested in knowing what the candidates wanna say plus the weather was quite cold at that time so the candidates were also freezing. kkk
Club/Class posters- I would have to admit that the posters of SNU's student clubs are very interesting. Only that everything's written in Korean which barred me from understadning everything due to my limited Korean. ^^; there are many winter vacation activities related posters all over the campus starting November. This is in preparation to the upcoming winter season. There are also some activities related to Philippines. These are volunteering/outreach programs, study English or travel. There's also a poster here regarding the ski/boarding camp on January, which I will be joining ^^

Pepero vs Garaetok Day-everyone may know that Nov 11 is Pepero Day but the Korean government officially announced this day as Garaetok Day 2-3 years ago. If you tried to roam around the campus it was like a competition of this two elements. Based on my observation, Pepero's definitely winning since most students especially the couples were into it. Many of my friends even bought boxes of peperos and gave it to their girlfriends. Even the stores inside the campus took the opportunity of selling it. On the other hand the Garaetok was given for free in some cafeterias and a student club, SNU Student Ambassadors held an activity promoting the day as Garaetok Day. There was even a TV coverage for the activity. Although it was more of taking videos on foreigners (by foreigners I mean caucasian looking or anything but not southeast asian definitely) eating the rice cake.So do you think Garaetok would totally replace Pepero with this kind of mentality?

FC Mitchers Odeng and Hopang booth-I tried to support my friends by selling odeng and hopang to students in front of the student center. ^^ 2 of my friends in the dorm are members of the said club. As far as I know it's the official soccer club under the College of Human Ecology. My friends Econ and Seong Ho were the ones selling.

Performances

1. Theater (엄마 어디가? Mother where are you going?) This one was really good. It was not an ordinary theater performance, it was more of criticizing the society for "supressing" the women's rights. A scene not so common in Korea, probably only in SNU. The students were also good.
2. HIS or Hoofers in SNU. I watched this because of my friend since they're part of the club. I had so much fun watching it. It's the official streetdance club in SNU so breakdancing and all sorts of streetdancing genres were performed. Another dance group, Morphine, which is a Jazz dance club also peformed. My friend also performed.

3. SNU Jazz Festival- my friend invited me to watch his performance in a Jazz concert. I didn't know he was that good. ^^ They had 2 performances this month and was glad I managed to watch both despite my hectic schedule.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete